Newly installed RAM is not detected

There is someone who have the same machine as mine who have her video upgraded this one. She even confirmed about the only upgradable part is the second slot. Even in manual said so.

I'll go to bed now.

2 Likes

Sad to say never in my life even as a kid I wish to Santa. hahahahaha.

2 Likes

Now I understand.
Then the only way to determine whether RAM or slot is defective is to purchase another RAM or take it to the local (friendly) computer shop and ask for testing.

1 Like

Mark Wahlberg Television GIF

And that's a pun!

Goodnight :milky_way:

Yeah. the repair shop near hear is closed today so never get a chance. Well.

1 Like

You could wait for the shop to reopen.
I am sure you can still return this DIMM for refund/exchange within one week or so. I think Amazon let you do that within 30 days.

1 Like

I was going to ask if Rui had checked that the new RAM module was fully inserted into the connector, but then...

So is it stuck fast in the slot?

See his reply no. 40.
It is confirmed to be soldered.

1 Like

I was questioning whether the (new) removable RAM module was seated properly in the connector.
I accept the bottom RAM module looks soldered in, so no chance of that coming out without use of a soldering iron (not reccommended).

From OP.

2 Likes

Its not Amazon. Hahahahah. I will not buy to amazon. Nor ebay. Their prices is quite too costly.

And my dear laptop ram mystery is getting much deeper. RAM and RAM slot is working (or let say reacting to a different testing way) also they have are both 1600 mhz, DDR3, 1.35V, 4gb and even didnt reach the max. Hmmmm. Interesting.

1 Like

We ... the Mrs and I buy tons of stuff from Lazada in the past 14y ... :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: but shopee ... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .... we have only bought cell phone cases from them ... even with Lazada we only buy from Lazada venders that have Lazada Stores ... in fact I have 8 new thumb drive on there way right now .... all Sandisk Cruser Blades .... 3 8g ... 3 16g and 2 32g ... to replace some I managed to mess up ...

Sorry about your Asus I love mine and it has really taken a beating especially with installing Zorin ... so many stop and starts .... switching drives (external) it it still plugs on .... but in all fairness it is a 17in ROG gaming laptop with 16g ram and 1 250g SSD and 1 1TB mechanical drive along with 5 1TB Passport USB drives (all bought from Lazada .... but at different times)

So don't get discouraged with Asus they are a good brand just afford to buy what you can .... I bought this one as being the last one I will probably be able to buy .... but I bought it from SM not Lazada ..... LOL

Though I'm not to the extent to buy gadgets in Lazada especially in Shopee. Flash drive works in Lazada but you know it is factory defects? Like those with HP brand etc. In Shopee, I guess even anything I will not buy there anymore. Whatever I buy in Lazada is fine but whatever been bought to shopee by any of us here in the family isn't fine. Hahahahahahahah. My my. I just take the risk because I can't go to the service center and most repair shop here have a record of stealing ram. Hahahahaha.

Also, laptops in Lazada those in the legit store, have low spec. The high spec one needed a credit card for payment which we don't have. We don't like credit cards.

1 Like

This is the memory width of my built in ram base on specs from a site. If this so happen to be true, then where comes the 64bit width that often get from dmidecode, memtest etc?

If this is true then this concludes why even the new ram supposed to be compatible and working didn't work at all.

This one is from new ram

Okay Im in shocked now. Hahaha

2 Likes

I've heard some of those values are "self-declared" by hardware itself.

Remember those SD card and USB memory with a fake capacity?
When you check, they will tell you whatever the capacity manufacture coded in them. It is like a putting a fake cover on the book.

The only way to know the real capacity is performing read/write test. Reporting the title on the book cover cannot confirm the real content of the book unless it is opened and read.

You could try to find the RAM that matches with the real entity which sits in your laptop. Or take it to the manufacturer authorized service centre and let them figure it out.

2 Likes

Thats an awesome analogy FrenchPress! Thats exactly how it is. And those fake drives started selling as soon as they became a thing too, at least 20-years ago I remember fake drives being sold. H2Test was the only way to find if a drive was the real deal or not.

Only thing is, H2Test is a Windows APP, not sure if it works in Wine, or if it works in Linux natively. But that would be a nice APP to have though for checking USB drives in modern day!

Memory Card Phone GIF by PNY/XLR8

1 Like

I saw an exact problem as mine, asus laptop in X series. According to one commenter, Asus have this tendecy to hard coded things to limit something.

Well, the reason why I buy ram already because the "authorize service center" stop communicating with me regarding this laptop. Either they think the upgrade is impossible for them, the specs isn't much available (cause even its charger needs to be ordered outside of our country and takes a week) or I don't know. hahahaahha. Even I follow up they didn't reply.

By the way, one of my flash drive have different capacity when it was in windows now when it was inserted in Linux. Hahahahahah

1 Like

If you need to know the real capacity of SD card or USB memory, you can use this:

I now run this test routinely as soon as I receive the items in mail.

2 Likes

OK, its official, a programmer needs to create a GUI APP for testing USB drives. The GUI shall be very pretty looking, and the name of the APP should be called... "USB Flash Drive Tester Babe"

1 Like

Who will put the bell on the cat? :cat2:
You? :wink:

1 Like