Off topic question about Pop! OS

I'm no gamer.. but that would be my thought. Software not OS issue... all the other things are working with sound he can play music files watch videos and play most other games. Hearing all them...process of elimination

I also notice now.
https://forum.zorin.com/uploads/default/original/2X/5/561c90feeb6d28194ed863352177d8a1fc49f302.png

While Headphone is muted, Surround, Front, Center is all working.

1 Like

@citfta this may help

Fix for no sound issue on Linux when using headphones

Okay, a little update. When I went back to settings/sound I found that system sound was again turned all the way down. I don't know why that keeps changing. But anyway now every game has sound except Picasim which was installed using PlayonLinux because it is a windows game. So I did something wrong during the install probably. I'll wait for our Pop! Os expert to suggest something. I don't really have to have the sound for the RC simulator as the planes I fly are electric so as soon as they get away from me I can't hear them anyway. Only when flying close 3D simulations is the sound helpful because it lets you hear the prop speed and that helps when learning to hover a plane with the nose straight up.

Thanks for all the help. I hope someday to know enough to help someone else but I think it will be a while before I get there.

As a side note Pop! OS was a real pain to get it installed. Zorin installation is 10 times easier. Pop! OS would get almost all the way installed and then give an error. But eventually it did install and seems to be working okay now.

3 Likes

Michel is in the same time zone as me and it is 1 AM here.
You might have to wait for a while.

1 Like

Thanks Bubby,

I did look at that before coming here for suggestions. It was helpful in that I learned how to use Alsamixer from that info. But I do have sound just not in Picasim.

2 Likes

Don't short change yourself. You are already helping other right now :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks FrenchPress,

As I said it is not really a big deal. I am just trying to learn all I can about Linux and solving problems is a pretty good way to learn. If everything was easy we wouldn't learn much. Waiting for Michel is fine.

2 Likes

You can check if you start a game settings audio not mute automatic or change source audio. I heard connected some audio usb example
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.behringer.com/product.html%3FmodelCode%3DP0AUX&ved=2ahUKEwiPqK_lt7z0AhWJk4sKHdFWB5cQtwJ6BAgHEAE&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw3wiSifnOzjJLga0o29USWw don't have problem. Sound Blaster card have a problems with volume. Here we focus on code Zorin and a game. Maybe problem is another a road?

1 Like

Hi citfta,

Sorry for the late reply i already read you got alot of great help on the forum. Picasim does it have a dll file called OpenAL32.dll ? I have 1 game that had no sounds at all and i had to delete that file to get the sound to work.

Did you try to run the game in lutris with a custom runner ?

Did you check when you fire up a game if the main sound is enabled ? When i fire up a game and connect my ps4 controller wireless my sound changes to the ps4 controller sound (no idea why because the sounds in the ps4 controller dont work in linux for me).

@FrenchPress, i wish i was a expert :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Come to think about of it, if you were a true expert, you would be in the POP forum, not here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Pop does not have a forum sadly.

2 Likes

:scream_cat:
That means when the reputation of our forum spread among POP users, we might have to give support for them as well. I hope you will stay around here for a while.

1 Like

Same goes for elementary OS. They have a stack exchange page instead.

2 Likes

I was not planning to go anywhere. Pop os and zorin both are ubuntu based so support should infact be the same. Pop os has a lts version based on 20.04 like zorin but they also have a semi rolling release every 6 months. Current one is still 21.04 and 21.10 is in beta.

1 Like

Good morning Michel,

I have tried a couple of your suggestions. I did find OpenAL32.dll in the windows folder under Picasim. Deleting that made no difference. I also started the game and went to settings/sound and the system sound was still set midway. I also tested the sound using the buttons in the sound system window. They worked but the game still has no sound. I have lutris installed but don't know how to set up a custom runner. I installed the game using PlayonLinux and just let it do it's thing without trying to change anything.

Hi citfta,

Maybe you can try my tutorial for that. Post 1 is about installing Steam, wine and lutris. Post 2 is to add a custom runner in steam amd lutris.

Please follow post 1 and 2. Zorin is not using the latest version of wine and lutris (at least not when i used it)

Hope it will work for you.

Can you revert this file back ? I was talking about the game folder (Picasim it self)

3 Likes

Hi Michel,

Thanks for the tutorial. I followed your directions for installing under Litrus and using the latest wine runner. When I told it to install, wine downloaded another program it said it needed called Mono something. I forgot to write it down. Anyway I now have sound on PicaSim. Thanks so much to all of you that have helped me. I have marked your post as the solution.

3 Likes

I am happy to hear everything worked out for you :sunglasses:. Enjoy your game(s) and your pop os installation.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.