Problems at using Zorin on NVME!

Hi,
i am using Zorin OS on my Laptop and thought about change to Zorin OS on my main PC, too. It using Win 10 right now.

First at all, my Hardware:
Ryzen 9 3900X
32GB Ballistix DDR4 3200
MSI B450 GPC
AMD 6800
PNY CS3030 NVME 250GB
Crucial MX500 1TB SSD

When i install Zorin on the PNY, i have problems with stuttering, freezing for a second or too, stuttering sounds....
Installing i on the MX500 it works perfectly...

So.. does anybody know, whats the problem with the PNY NVME?
Not supported right now, or is there a solution to fix this problem..?

Greetz
Fuchiii

Hey, thank you for your answer.

I gave it a try and installed it on the Crucial MX500 - thats an 2,5" SATA SSD.
On this drive Zorin runs fine - no stuttering no problems.

So i guess, it must be the NVMe or the m.2 Port of my Mainboard...?

It also wasn´t a Problem of Zorin only. I had this problems with fedora, i tried to install after Zorin did not want to work, too.

My 6800 worked fine on gaming :smiley:

well, thats exactly the same i use... well..then... could it be the m.2 slot of my B450?

Its an MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon.
I am on vacation, so poorly i havent my pc here.

But Il give solutions a try when we are back home next week :slight_smile:

NVME M.2 drives use PCIE gen 3 or these days, gen 4. The external USB ports are connected via the same PCIE gen 3 or gen 4 lanes. If it were indeed a problem there, by just trying to boot off a drive via USB, or by trying to hookup an external USB mouse or keyboard, you might discover issues with the.

However, if everything works normal with them, then that indeed will point to the NVME drive as being the culprit. But as Tom said, as long as you are sure, that you have the AMD drivers fully installed and operating within normal parameters.

Some food for thought, just don't get hungry while in your thought.

Hey StarTreker,
thank you for your thoughts to my problem.

Thats an interesting thought, too. Il check that when im back home!

A Queston to the AMD-Drviers. I had installed the graphicsdriver from the AMD-Website. Is there another important AMD driver i may forgot?

:grin:

Knowing that you got the AMD driver from their website, and I assume you got the correct one for your GPU as well, then I think you did it the best way! So kudos to you Fuchiii, you are stellar! :star2:

I have faith that we will get this figured out soon enough. Well, I am going to be going to bed and get some sleep, I been up for nearly 24-hours, so ya, my body is like, what you trying to do to my fool? Get your butt in bed before you have a body cramp or something. lol

On Win 10 running on the PNY, as well as on Zorin running on the Crucial.
With zorin on the PNY i didnt get to gaming, casueof the freezes :smiley:

haha :smiley: yeah, after 24h its time to get to bed xD

My samsung 980 nvme has issues as well, after installing it refuses to boot. When i look in a live session and check the disk the boot and another partition have a mark (!). Saying the disk can not be booted. I suspect microsoft made a deal with samsung to lock the disk for other operational boots. I installed linux on a sata m2 and works fine

I just got a thought. Since when do you have Zorin installed on the CS3030? Maybe i tried it before and now its working fine..?

Ok, thank you. I tried Zorin at 27th August.
Maybe i have to have a look at the mainboard and its drivers.

I know theres a problem with the soundchip in linux, but i got it to work and had good sound on the mx500.

Think i got to go into myself if i go to zorin or Win 11 on the desktop.

If it not works with Zorin use a different distro, microsoft uses alot of spyware and such.

My nvme refuses too with systemd bootloader, i installed linux on a sata m2 and it works just fine. I use the nvme for downloaded stuff and games. nvme does have good speeds but you would not notice much difference at all when booting.

I also refuse to use any microsoft products ever...used windows for 21 years (if not longer) and i am tired of them. Their spyware policy and their idiotic specs for a updated windows 10 aka 11 is just stupid...forcing to buy new hardware for they stupid toy(s).

Yes i know, but my nvme has 250GB and my sata has got 1TB(Gaming SSD).
I want the system to be on a seperate drive :slight_smile:

I fell in love with Zorin on my Laptop, so..if it wont work right know.. Ill just wait until it works, maybe :smiley:

I am using my pc for Video/sound editing and also for gaming, so windows is very comfortable at that. But i see how gaming is getting better and better on linux.

Good idea -but i also tried Fedora with 5.12 in August - same Problems.

Well, NVME drives better get unproblematic real quick, its not like they are going away you know. Look at any PC gaming enthusiast PC, and you often times don't even find SATA drives in them anymore! They will have usually 1 or 2 NVME drives directly mounted to the motherboard, this is common practice.

If there is any type of driving that is going to be going away soon, it will be SATA drives. The 2.5" drive has been great and all, but with companies trying to make things smaller and cleaner, you have to make a sacraphice somehwere.

And look at the new Steam Deck! For portable handhelds, not even a full sized NVME will fit! There is yet another new standard making its way now, and its what the Steam Deck uses.

See that? M.2230 Look how small it is! Well, give it a couple more years, and you will see notebooks coming with these things as standard.

1 Like

That 2230 card looks awesome!, aliexpress has nice adapters for it to make it larger :smiley:

Like this?

Keep in mind however, this may allow you to use modern NVME drives with a SATA III connection. However, if your computer is more then a few years old, you will probably require a BIOS update to utilize the drivers properly.

No, more like this. I use it in my notebook

1 Like