Samsung or Crucial SSD?

Hello. In near future i want buying ssd. Christmas time price are bigger.
What ssd you suggest? I wondering about Crucial version MX or another - Samsung are better or faster, they are little more expensive.
Some hard disk was here with some problems.
What is your suggestion? SSD i heard for system and hdd for games and data files.

I myself bough a Samsung SSD M2 1 Terabyte and I'm quiet happy about it a while back.

I would run games on the SSD as it have a huge impact of the game performance.

1 Like

I don;t know if sata ssd will be bigger diffrence from ssd M2

I agree with storm.

SATA SSD and SATA M.2. SSD are in speeds almost identical. However if you have a NVME SSD that one cannot be compared in speeds of a normal sata ssd.

I have

Samsung 980 1TB NVME (read/write speeds 3.500MB/s)

Western Digital 1TB M.2 SATA-600 (read 560MB/s write 530MB/s)

Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA-600 (read 560MB/s write 530MB/s)

I have old pc, nvme what i know creating warm in pc. I cannot using gen.3 my motherboard don't recognize them. SSD for me are more simple - small and can be used external hard disk. Good for travelling library for laptops. I reading my motherboard when using nvme took 2 port SATA. That means they are cannot be used and when connect some hard disk to there port not recognized.

I put your models on compatible with a motherboards. They must be a new version. Cannot find them link up. Propably the drivers are plug and play.

I think I have nvme, becuase I have the exact samsung 1TB as you have.

1 Like

This is a post from a question I had that @StarTreker responded too. I personally don't have tons knowledge or experience with SSD's, but he does. And it looks like Storm goes with Samsung as well. So I would guess either one of these 2 would be good.

2 Likes

I would agree with this as well as @JeffK969 I have not much knowledge of SSD aside from what I read..and I read a lot. But that makes me no expert.

Whats this? Are we talking about one of my favorite topics SSD drives? Cleans eyeballs... I think we are! Oh how exciting!

So, as it appears, some of you stellar folks, are wondering about the speed differences between SSD and NVME M.2 drives. Well, do I ever have some information for you!

SSD drives have a theoretical maximum of 600MBPS, as that is the limit of the SATA III interface standard. However, more often then not, what you actually see, are around 500MBPS at best. 9-years ago this was plenty speed of speed, but no longer in 2021.

If you want the sheer speed of the universe, delivered to that sweet sweet PCB, then you gotta go with NVME M.2 SSD. Why you ask? Well, PCIE gen 3 alone is rated for 3500MBPS MAX interface speed, and what you will usually get is between 3000MBPS to 3300MBPS depending on drive brand.

I don't know about you, but thats faster then I can type this message! So, if you use your computer for gaming, or for production work, oh man, you want that sweet sweet NVME, to deliver that delicious speed you crave oh so heartedly. :heart_eyes_cat:

If your lucky enough to have bought a machine in the last couple months, then you have the PCIE gen4 standard, and that opens new doors to you. Were talking 5,000MBPS dude. Thats so fast, that its gonna boot into Zorin OS in like 5-seconds!

The decision is clear, NVME M.2 for the win....... WOOHOO! :joy:

Another question was raised, that some NVME drives do not play well with some systems. This is most likely due to BIOS incompatibility. I know, sounds horrible doesn't it, like a 2-week old stale sandwitch, no, I don't like it either! So what are we gonna do about it? Were gonna update our BIOS is what were gonna do.

But let me let you in on a little secret, cause I feel generious today. Pssst.... Buy PCIE Gen 3 WD NVME for your gen3 board, save you a lot of time it will, and happy you shall be as a result!

If you got a PCIE Gen4 board, well, what are you waiting for you stellar dudes and dudetts? Get on over there and pick you up some magical Samsung NVME drives with in your face performance, that will mop the decks with your old SSD drives.

And if your still using mechanical? Ohhhhh dear, oh dear, oh dear, you poor soul. I am sorry to say, that 250MBPS to 350MBPS is just not gonna cut it, when the new games arrive. And off to the store you go, to upgrade!

Stellar fiddle fiddler de Zee, waiting for Lite in XFCE. Zorin...............OS.............16..............LITE! And thats all I got. :rofl:

3 Likes

Can't use the Gen 4 on my board. But I am acquainted with Samsung evo plus. Have the 500GB installed. Just bought the 1TB (black Friday deal).

Nothing special, am used to the speed and stability just needed more space. Thought about buying the 2TB nvme, but I use nuc "H" has a extra bay, which can be extended with a normal SSD. So i have the Samsung 1 TB SSD already, so that makes 2 TB.

2 Likes

On the first day of Christmas, my mother gave to me, 2-1TB NVME M.2 SSD, 2-Sata 2TB SSD, 2-external 2TB NVME in a raid USB 3.2 SSD, and thats a lotta of PCB! Its soon to be 2022, will Santa have a Alderlake in a box for you. Prey, its not a lump of coal! HAHA :rofl:

2 Likes

Nope, guess I haven't been a good guy no presents for me this Christmas.
So no Alderlake for me. have 3 good running nuc's already. But I'm also not gamer so the common specs are ok to me. Just needed more space.

My pc's are still good to go and you know that Zorin runs ok on old pc's. Well mine are not that old.

1 Like

Yes, I do know, got Zorin OS PRO running on an old dual core P6200E with 8GB of RAM, upgraded of course. I haven't booted that system up in weeks though, I bet when I do finally boot that old machine up, its gonna have so much updating to do, it might just croak for good.

OK, well, maybe if it had Windows on it, it would croak like someone losing their voice. But this is Linux, and we do things right. Well, most of the time. Linus Torvalds certainly has some words about how things have been going with the fragmentation of Linux.

Space is good, space is everything, were surrounded in it, like the force. And its always good to expand space. So, more space for your lovely NUC, may the NUC be with you. Well, so far, you've been good to me dasjdoom. So, you never know what gifts await.

2 Likes

No long Details
simple answer Go with the Samsung its the best among all

You mean they have better specification and speed read.write also lifetime ssd from Crucial what re cheaper but longer on market(Omicron)?

Samsung is the best, and produces the highest performance NVME SSD drives, but here's the thing, they are more expensive, and they don't play well on all motherboards, unless BIO'S is updated. Western Digital plays better with most motherboards and is nearly as fast as Samsung drives.

Crucial is also an excellent brand, a popular brand too. They are not the fastest drives out there, but they are quite compatible with most boards. You see, sometimes buying an NVME SSD drive is not just about the performance, but the compatibility.

3 Likes

In my experience (I was a computer repairman for 18 yrs), Crucial SSDs' are more compatible with main boards, especially with Asus' products

2 Likes

Yes better catch ssd what working with all. Imean older PC
All youtubers have newer pc that for me what they showing are useless for me. Never get 100% it will working on my old pc.

On the Crucial website, there is a form, you can find the best SSD for your Desktop/Notebook system.
I suggest checking it out