Schmilblick or "show and tell" time

We use Okra here, too.
Bell peppers.

Peppers. Nice. Where I live there is one with green mangoes (both salty and spicy variants can be made out of mangoes), lemon (only spicy) and many more. We like have a pickle of most fruits that grows here. Even dates. Even though dates don't grow here. A sweet pickle can be made out of dates.

1 Like

There are 2 major categories for what called "pickles".
I can only tell you my experience I have from 3 different countries.

In Japan, where I was born, cucumbers are pickled in either salt alone or rice-bran + salt. But they are consumed quite quick before the serious fermentation sets in.

In Canada as well as in France, pickles is made with vinegar (simply preserved by low pH of vinegar).

I was lucky enough to befriend with a Polish lady while I was working in the biochemistry lab in Canada studying for my postgraduate degree in science. She was the one who told me about this famous Polish pickles.

But it was just last year, I got a very detailed Russian pickles recipe from my colleague's mother (both are true blue Russians!) which led to the current successful pickles making :yum:

1 Like

Chutney!
Never serve curry without it :yum:

1 Like

I suspect that if it is made with vinegar, you could throw in almost any vegees in it.

1 Like

Probably. I was referring to commonly pickled items you may see on store shelves here.

1 Like

Pretty sure what I talked about was not chutney at all. You see as far as I have seen in chutneys, the main ingredient is cut into small or most of the time made into a powder. For example in coconut chutney, the coconut will always be in a powdered form which is also wet after completion. But in the case of pickles that I told about the main ingredient will be at a decent size except dates. There are even non veg pickles (which I have a bad experience with because it was spicy and fell into my eye and made me scream till I got tired and had no more energy to scream! ).

Photos?
It is beyond my imagination.

If I have to handle a large amount of potent hot peppers, I protect myself with safety glasses and latex gloves. They really should not be taken lightly.

1 Like

Had none at home so here is some I found online a salty variant of mango pickle

The spicy one

1 Like

Capsaicin, the illusion of pain. :stuck_out_tongue:

Potent illusion, though.

2 Likes

Just looking at the colour, I could tell how hot that could be :fire:

1 Like

And this is what a coconut chutney looks like.

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

1 Like

No no, this is not hot at all. The beef one is the most hottest one I have ever experienced.

It will actally be kinda coconuty sweet not spicy.

Remembering my experience in one restaurant in Bangkok (for locals not for tourists), we might have a different threshold for hotness. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

How hot was it. Was it hot enough to make your nose leak?

1 Like

All I can remember was simply a pain.
No taste.... My sensation was completely saturated by hotness.

1 Like

Yeah had that before. You will only feel the hotness slowly devour you. No taste will be felt. Only a burning or maybe even stinging feeling on tongue. When its too hot the temperatures will reach your nose and make it leak(had that before). When its even hotter it will leak your eyes (also had that before)

1 Like

And the only thing that can be gained out this is a naturally red lips.

1 Like