Screen kept flickers when running Zorin OS 15 Lite for the first time (same with USB boot)

I wasn't sure about the Nvidia safe driver but,I'm thinking to reinstall it.

Since I can't actually make it possible to have the whole OS completely fixed,guess I need to always use the nomodeset.

If you try Zorin 16 with nvidia graphics driver, and it works, you won't have to use nomodeset, just install 16 then, after checking the hash to ensure a noncorrupt image. Whole disk or custom partitions... however you like.

So literally got it working fine,but I need to make its own screen properly so it won't hurt my eyes.

Now it ended up like this on ZorinOS 16

If it doesn't have any other resolutions then it's not using the correct driver. You can change the resolution (as long as you're not in safe graphics) to something higher so the items aren't as large. In update settings, other tab see which driver is being used.

With this we figured out that the kernel and firmware in 15.3 is the issue, since it's not doing the same thing. Any fixes for 16 will have to be done, if necessary, after installation. Do not choose the safe graphics to try and install zorin. It uses the 460 driver by default, and that should support your card.

The first thing you should do once 16 is installed is connect to the internet and either open terminal for the following:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers

Or open software update and install any patches for the system. This may also include drivers depending on the image version.

Go into display settings and see if you can change the resolution and refresh rate.

For some reason the "sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers" is not working. Because it can't find the package of the drivers itself.

Try with;

sudo apt install ubuntu-drivers-common

Am I doing it right?

Yep, it seems it's already installed. Try with;

/usr/bin/software-properties-gtk --open-tab=4

It opens up the driver settings where I switches the driver to nvidia

That's a very old driver for nvidia, is it Z15? So if you choose the binary driver you get a small resolution? What happens when using the binary driver and set the resolution in nvidia-settings?

This is Z16 Beta,but I'm going to bed now and I'll be showing it to you about it later.

You're output also states that there is an upgrade waiting. Use:

sudo apt upgrade

To install it... may be the driver update, may not. And by the time you read this and perform the upgrade, there may be more.
You can also open software updater settings, click the other tab on the far right, wait for it to load and choose the nvidia driver, 340 in your screenshot then reboot. Since it's using the nouveau driver, this may be part of the issue. Then open terminal and perform the two following commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade -y

This should download the latest drivers automatically once you start using the proprietary drivers. Make sure to reboot after driver installation, then check the other tab to see that the newest driver is being used. It should at least be the 390 if not the latest, 460 (not server).

1 Like

If I switched to Nvidia,this happened

After doing some research, i came across this:

Which basically states that your graphics card is part of a group that is no longer supported. You will need to use an LTS distro (zorin 16 is to new). The 340 or 390 nvidia driver should work with it.

I'm sorry that i didn't realize how old that video card is. Seems it reaching end of life by nvidia.

2 Likes

Oh gosh,so I need to use the older version of LTS Linux.

I'm sorry, but yes. I believe zorin has an lts version, but I'm not sure which, aravisian or azorin would be the ones to ask. Aravisian has been using zorin longer than i and more familiar with the different versions, azorin is one of the developers.

All of Zorin OS is built on LTS versions.

Thank you aravisian, I want sure if that was the case or not.

A post was split to a new topic: Screen Flicker on Zorin OS with AMD graphics

Marked solution. 39