Separate taskbar intellihide, floating, and rounded options

Hi all. I've been using 16 Pro, now recently trying out 17.
I've been wanting to have rounded corners for my taskbar, without it floating. Seems like similar questions have been asked here before a few times.

This is my taskbar at 70% width and intellihide, and I think the corners clash with the overall rounded theme. It would be great to have separate options for the taskbar. Meanwhile, I'm just going to look into putting the rounded corners in by myself with css.

3 Likes

I agree that would be a welcome addition, nice suggestion. Since you are willing to jump into the CSS, you can apply the border with a simple rule in the following file: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/zorin-taskbar@zorinos.com

#panelBox #panel {
    border-radius: 10px;
}

Note that you will need to edit this file as root. Take a look at this thread on how to edit files with elevated permissions.

Also keep in mind that this is a hot fix, and future updates may override this change without notice. I would also recommend adding your own styles at the bottom of the file to make it clear what you've added, if nothing else for your future reference.

Once you save the file you'll need to reload the desktop by pressing Alt+F2, if you are running on Xorg, or by logging out and back in on Wayland. At least on the Z17 Beta version, Wayland is enabled by default so keep that in mind as that will slow down whatever other visual testing you want to do. I seem to remember there was a GTK inspector to see right away the code that makes up the elements but I don't know exactly how's that call. If you find out please let me know! :smiley:

3 Likes

Thank you! I've added the border radius to the stylesheet. However, I see it applies to all corners, even when I specified only the top corners.

#panelBox #panel {
    border-radius: 10px 10px 0px 0px;
}

This is the result:

But at least it looks a lot better now.

Strange it doesn't work, and specifying the full property for each corner doesn't seem to do anything, even though GTK3/4 supports them. No idea why that is... but then again this was a hacky workaround more than anything so it may need some more knowledge about how GTK works :smiley:

You can try to specify per border with each parameter:

#panelBox #panel {
     border-top-right-radius: 10px;
     border-top-left-radius: 10px;
     border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;
     border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;
}

Could Flatpak may have something to do with this? According to the GTK docs, those are supported features. Although it's strange that it works with the shorthand but not with the specific rules.

That removed the taskbar radius back to 0, that's really odd. I think I'll just settle for border-radius: 10px; for the time being.

1 Like

That is odd. I know that Cinnamon still uses CSS2 instead of CSS3. And GTK uses CSS3. But I would think so would Gnome-Shell...

But then again... Gnome limiting what CSS can do in GNome.... Is not surprising in any way whatsoever...

Just a heads up to anyone seeing this, this causes a problem with the extension which leads to crashing. Do not modify the stylesheet until the issue has been addressed.

2 Likes

Can others confirm that Z17 Core (production release) indeed has Wayland set as default.

I have seen some posts where, if true, running Wayland as default may not have been realised by the user and cause issues with some software.
From experience of many posts referring to immaturity of Wayland, its choice as default by @staff would be a surprise to me.

A statement or confirmation about this would be good.

Yes, Zorin OS 17 Core defaults to Wayland as does Ubuntu 22.04.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.