Share your desktop, what does it look like?

I may like linux more than windows, but as someone who lived through the era of what was considered the last good windows version but hasn't used it, I was curious to know how it felt using it, so with the help of a few icon themes and shell themes, i made zorin look like windows 7

8 Likes

That was easier than I thought it would be... I've never 'themed' my Zorin OS before, but it was super easy using the themes from the B00merang-Project. I used the Windows XP Royale Dark theme.

1. Go to Desktop themes - BOOMERANG

2. Download the theme you want to use to your desktop and extract the .zip file.

3. Open sudo nautilus.

4. Drag the theme you want to /usr/share/themes. For my setup, I dragged the Windows XP Royale Dark and the Windows XP Luna folders over, so I could try out both.

5. Right-click the folder and select  Properties . Go to the  Permissions  tab.

6. Set the permissions as:
    Owner: root
    Access: Create and delete files
    Group: root
    Access: Access files
    Others: {blank}
    Access: Access files

7. Click the  Change Permissions for Enclosed Files...  button and set the permissions to the same as above.

8. Reboot.

9. Open gnome-tweaks and go to the  Appearance  tab. For  Applications , select the new theme. For  Shell , select the new theme.

10. Done!

Oomox graphical theme editor installation:

Download the latest .deb version of TheMix GUI.

Install it by right-clicking the file and selecting  Open With Other Application , then selecting  Software Install .

You'll see a window like this:

It took a really long time to install on my system, not sure why.

When it's done, you'll see a new icon under Zorin menu > System Tools, named Themix/Oomix Theme Designer.

Once the program opens, you can create whatever color scheme you like, and save it as a theme, which you would put into /usr/share/themes.

It'll also install Inkscape, which can create scalable vector graphic images.

5 Likes

You guys use desktop icons?

I do, but the day I go back to using gnome as the DE, I'm considering not to, since it just looks much cleaner to keep the desktop empty (or maybe with just widgets) and open the apps menu from the taskbar when I actually need to open something instead of having a few icons always thrown around in the desktop

1 Like

Same. I used to use the Desktop as my launchpad for all icons. And many things like pictures or downloads always ended up a desktop icon.
When I switched to using Zorin OS, that almost seemed to abruptly change. Which seems very odd to me. You would think I would be a normal little human and retain my bad habits.

This implies that we feel compelled to keep icons on the desktop on Windows- but would rather not do so. And once freed from whatever it is about Windows that makes us use the Desktop that way, we revert to a more natural state.

2 Likes

Shooting Star :dizzy:
ZorinOS 16.3 Pro
WhiteSur Dark Nord GTK
McMojave Circle / Gradiant Dark Icons
Shooting Star Wallpaper
Big Sur Status Area Extension
Drop Down Terminal Extension
Smooth Information Updated Conky Widget

4 Likes

I use the Desktop as 1) a quick-access area, 2) a data billboard and 3) a scratchpad, of sorts.

1. The icons for my drives are on the Desktop; 2) Conky is on the desktop; 3) everything I download goes to the Desktop; and I do edits on huge text files as I shuffle the data contained within them, and the temporary files (essentially the result of each step of the data shuffling) are saved there. Not much remains for very long on the Desktop.
2 Likes

Last time I used Desktop icons was on Ubuntu 4.10 (2004 Oktober).

2 Likes

Not since I started using Gnome (without extensions). But I do miss having that ability as I like using it for temporary files i.e.: ideas, quick notes, playground folders, etc.

Luckily I've been getting more and more comfortable with the terminal and that helps a lot. Although to be fair, what is supposed to be "quick" or "temporary", sometimes ends up taking up months...

3 Likes

Kubuntu 22.04:
Fluent plasma theme
Colloid icons
Colloid light color scheme
Clear clock widget
Ditto menu

7 Likes

I prefer icons as it makes it easy for me to do what I want instead of having to remember a bunch of other stuff .... but that is just me .....

My desktop

My Brave Browser start page .....

The frog says "HI Storm remember me" ..... still a great background ..... thanks ....

4 Likes

Hi, I really love that SDD theme, do you have it on Zorin Core with Gnome? I install it but it give me problems locking my session

Please stick to your original thread on this subject. Do not gatecrash other threads that are unrelated.

2 Likes

OOps sorry, I'm a new user(joined today), so, i didn't thought about that. Sorry!

2 Likes

wow! that's actually like win7

1 Like

It was from this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npn8ZktlKEs
Yesterday was late over midnight that why today finished.
I am very like linux. You can doing with him everything and you are the boss.

5 Likes

8 Likes

Not mine but interesting gnome on lmde6

Wow, Zorin 10 looks cool.
I started with Zorin 16 last year and have no idea about the previous versions.

Is there any archive section where we can find older Zorin versions screenshots?

1 Like

ZorinOS 16.3 Pro
LInux Kernel: 6.3.13-060313-generic
MoJave Dark Solid GTK
Retro Art Icons
PearOS Wallpaper
Light Flair Clock Conky Widget
Big Sur Status Area Extension

5 Likes