So very TRYing . . . first steps in Zorin

as you can see, neither of the 2 USB sticks showed on the disk management screen?

sorry im still not quite back ,,, try 1 stick at a time, first the 56gb,,, close DM ( disk management)
insert 56gb stick then open DM.
If you dont want anything from that usb stick, you can try right clicking the usb stick at the top section & click format, if this works when prompted change the format to Fat32, then click "Start" at the bottom...

back soon.

Al is it totally necessary to use a USB stick to just TRY and see what Zorin looks like before I install it? I did initially think I would like Zorin on a USB stick, but now that seems to not be such a grand idea. Easier to disconnect from wifi when I want to up/download from my files/pictures that are already stored on the (256GB) stick. And I would like to get a good look at Zorin before I start to 'enrich' it.

For sure I do NOT want to mess with Windows - esp. 11 - any more than I have to. And I think the 'non-tradtional' installing has lots of merit to it.

Trying & Installing via USB Stick is actually how I use Zorin OS on my computer, why not do that yourself?

How is using a USB stick more helpful? I'd rather use a USB for 'storage' of private information that can't be viewed when I am online.

Ok
using the 256gb stick,,,

you need to first transfer/copy your folder/files/photo ect anything you wish to keep, (to lets say to make it easy a new folder on the screen/desktop.. of that pc, transfer/copy all your wanted files/ect into that folder) this is the easiest way, later after we copy that fold back to the 256gb stick, you can delete/remove it from your screen/pc ....
let me know when you have finished,,, im back & forth atm.

1 Like

Not sure I am understanding the 'why' I would need to transfer my files etc. off of the USB - EXCEPT if I wanted to use that USB for mounting Zorin onto. IS the Zorin download on the Lenovo only able to install (traditional way) - not allowing me to ONLY TRY Zorin from the Lenovo (directly)?

If that is so, I can and will prepare the 56GB stick for (installing?) Zorin.

When Installing an OS via USB, The flash drive is going to be formatted and have no data in it anyways so you might as well use it as an OS installer.

1 Like

It seems that this may be the only way to get to look at Zorin before commiting to it.

Ok
Lets say ( for argument sake ) There are 2 ways to install an OS. 1 From a dvd
2 From a usb stick

OK, getting this thru my thick head - formatted the 56GB stick. (as FAT32)

How about we let this slide until tomorrow? I have hungry hubby asking for dinner.

No problem chat tomorrow... will take this up in the private message's

Sounds grand Big THANKS and g'day!

There are only a few minor differences between Zorin 15 and 16. You can get an idea of what Zorin has to offer from the unofficial manual for 15 that I wrote.

There are programs you can install under Windows which read a .iso file and execute it as if it were a mounted hard drive. It's for burning your CDs to .iso files so you don't have to shuffle CDs all the time, you've got them all on your hard drive in .iso format... but I'm not sure that it would work for running Zorin OS under Windows.

If it did, all you'd have to do is save the Zorin OS .iso file somewhere on your Windows installation, bring up the .iso mounter program, execute the .iso file, and you could try Zorin... but again, I'm not sure it'd work. I've never tried it.

Went to link which turned out to be another link. Clicked on that (second) link and it started to look like a .pdf but ended up containing nothing. Would have downloaded but probably and 'empty' file at that?

Would be grand to read though.

The link from that post still works for me. Here it is directly (I had 14 different people downloading last night!)

It is still there:

You need to give it time to load as over 67 Mb in size and 184 pages long. Had 14 downloads of it by other people last night.

1 Like

I wondered if the downloading was just slow. Will try again thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.