Switching the Gnome desktop to the KDE desktop

Hello:
I would like to change the Zorin Os 15.3 desktop to the Kde desktop (I find it much more Windows-like, plus it consumes less resources). I've read something about it and, apparently, it wouldn't be a big problem.
Could someone tell me how to do it?
If after doing it, I want to go back to the previous desktop, is it possible? how would it be done?
I look forward to your suggestions.
Thank you very much.

1 Like

This guide walks through the installation process, offering several different options:

It is not a problem and if you Log Out of the desktop, you can choose which desktop you log in on from the login greeter screen.
So going from Desktop to Desktop is as easy as choosing which one to log in on. I have Z16 with gnome and installed Mate, XFCE4 and Cinnamon desktops on it. I switch between them on an as needed basis.

5 Likes

Thank you very much for your response.

2 Likes

do i risk any loss of data switching over to kde? Also can I still use the packages/apps I installed on gnome? such as Discord, MSedge, VScode etc?

While I recommend you to make a full disk image backup with Cloneziila/Rescuezilla before such heavy operations, switching the desktop should not affect your data and installed applications. There are some members successfully installed and are using KDE desktop on Zorin.

3 Likes

Adding a DE is very similar to adding any other piece of software you install it at the same level of risk. You can install multiple DE's without issue... the problem comes when you want to remove them.

KDE isn't based on GTK like gnome. It will install all necessary items for QT, while interacting with GTK to run the apps installed based on GTK. If you want to remove KDE, it doesn't touch the GTK applications or settings (the way I understand it). Making it the safer route than cinnamon or xfce which are more reliant on GTK.

Either way your personal files will not be effected.

Edit: For clarification, GTK is a graphical library that applications and desktops use to show the windows/application visuals that you are accustomed to seeing. QT is another library used by other applications. KDE recognizes both libraries, though it only utilizes QT. Because of this, you expand the number of applications available to you because KDE can launch and support both visual libraries, so you can run QT apps as well as GTK apps. Not something available in gnome. XFCE, I believe, can also access and understand QT apps, but I am not 100% on this.

5 Likes

I am thankful for your clarification and helping me with my doubts.
Thanks to you too @FrenchPress

1 Like

Does this work with different gnome versions too? I'd like to try vanilla Gnome 41 and still be able to switch to the Zorin preinstalled Gnome version with every extension.

If you want kde you can just write this in terminal

sudo apt install kde-standard

Reboot, at login you see a small wheel. From there you can switch between gnome and kde.

Nope I mean having 2 different version of GNOME and switch to them like with KDE/GNOME

Btw I googled this and found it's impossibile. But what happens if I update GNOME to the last version on my Zorin 16 core? It is a reversible operation)

If you have a external drive i would test it on that. I have a external pop os installation where i test things on that i am not sure about it, so i wont make a mess on my main installation on the internal drive.

1 Like

The gtk and gnome itself will be upgraded. Zorin is optimized for gnome pre 40. You may find, since things are usually changed drastically when gnome releases new versions, that some of the applications and OS features do not work. This is strictly because of gnome and their unwillingness to keep a standard when they develop new versions.

It may work but expect to have to reinstall since downgrading the gtk and gnome can be problematic.

2 Likes

Try running it in Virt-Manager - much better than Virtual Box.

Yes, you cannot install Gnome40 or 41 on Zorin OS 16 without breaking Zorin OS 16.

1 Like

Did Zorin put KDE?

No, the framework is in place to support KDE applications or QT written applications.

Maybe someone choice to correct desktop