Uh... How do I stop authentication Expired and having to relogin every time I launch Minecraft?

I really don't care if it is a big, glaring security hole. I want to login once to the Minecraft launcher and be done. I want to login once to the Google and Microsoft services and be done. I might even remove the need for a password every time I enter commands in the terminal. I want to get where I am going without logging in every time. How do I do this?

If I want security I'll hire a former Marine named with a nickname like Brickhouse or something...

1 Like

Google Ubuntu 20.04 removing security and root password.

I don't know if i speak for everyone in this community, but inherit security as well as the ability to make changes without restriction are why we have turned to Linux. That security that bothers you so is what also keeps malware and viruses from your machine. To remove it is doing yourself and Linux a disservice. It may seem annoying, coming from windows, but that is the very reason that Linux has less issues with those types of software. To ask such a thing is like asking the public to walk through your house unmonitored. You will find most of your stuff not there anymore and the locks removed so they can come back for what they couldn't carry the first time through.

The above is the closest to assisting you i am or ever will be in this endeavor. Good luck.

2 Likes

Uh... Thank you?

So... You're perfectly happy with having to login to Minecraft every time you want to play? You're fine with continuously updating the security certificates of every online account you are logged into?

Oh and I may be new to Linux, but doesn't it's inherent resistance to viruses come from not having any direct access to the kernel?

I do know how to turn off the password it requires every time I enter a command on Terminal. If it makes you feel better, I will likely leave it enabled. I just want to play Minecraft without logging in all the time.

Fair enough?

You're are saying you need to type your password for running Minecraft (and we're not talking about Zorin login?).
How did you install Minecraft? Because it sounds to me you're running it as superuser.

2 Likes

I went to Flathub, clicked on the save reference file, it opened in the store, and I installed.

I did recently migrate my account from Mojang to Microsoft, so it COULD be an issue with that, not Linux. Some stuff on that through Google. Gonna try using my Mojang account to login, see what happens.

Will also test in Windows 7.

1 Like

It is true that migrants from Windows are often annoyed by the password prompts. There are better ways to mitigate that than removing the passwords...
But I think your issue was narrowed down by you and Storm- Flatpak.
No, you shouldn't have to login to Minecraft each time... I suspect it is because it is a Flatpak and installed in Root- as well as Sandboxed by Flatpak.
It may be this way because Minecraft can connect to a server.

1 Like

OK... Should I have installed Minecraft a different way? What way, and why exactly? I was just following a video I found by some tech guy on YouTube. But if there is a better or different way to install I would want to know about it.

There's a .deb package on Microsoft homepage (Debian). Simple double click it after download.
https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download

EDIT: Just tried the .deb file, works perfectly.

1 Like

OK, will install that. Thank you! Should I copy my directories and uninstall my current Minecraft before installing it, or does it matter?

Also... What is the general rule of thumb when downloading and installing software on Linux? Flathub? Store? Main website before anything else? Why or why not, and how do you know what is the best approach? That's what I do in Windows typically... I just go to the developer site and don't use download sites.

I'm not familiar with mincraft, but if you build some maps, you should properly copy them.
Then uninstall the current Minecraft game.

Most of us use repositories (the Zorin or Ubuntu libraries) or deb packages. As you have seen, flatpak and snap may be convenient but normally cause issues. Searching for specific software in a how to is usually the easiest way. Ex.

How to install steam by terminal Ubuntu 20.04

You can also swap out by terminal for standalone, though it doesn't always provide what you're looking for. If it involves snaps or flatpak move on to the next possible way to install. A ppa or deb is normally the best option.

2 Likes

Zorin OS centers around Stability.
Installing from stable repositories, as provided by Zorin OS, is the most preferred method. Occasionally, you must add a third party repository - these are vetted and signed, to ensure security.
Snap and Snap Store was developed by Canonical as an alternative to the normal installation process. The problem with Snap is:

• Bloat. Snap packages include everything a program may need to run, often duplicating packages, repeatedly. This is similar to how Windows does things, so you can easily see the Bloat factor.
  • Snap doesn't always work, in spite of the above. Snap sandboxes apps, which is actually a double-sandboxing, causing some apps to not have access to shared object files they need in order to run, to not match system themes or to not be able to display fonts... Flatpak packages also do this to some degree. Both are known for missing the mark due to this.
  • Ethics. For me this is a big one. Canonical promised that Snap Packages would never replace .deb packages, but would be only an alternative. Canonical immediately broke this promise. In addition, Canonical not only replaced .deb packages with Snap allowing no alternative, it replaced them in the repositories, misleading users into believing that they were installing properly from the repository, only to have it redirected without warning to Snap. This is my own primary reason for avoiding Snap Packages and SnapD. I removed Snapd from my system as the best method to prevent snap sneaking in unawares. We Do Not Support that type of behavior within the Linux Community.
2 Likes

OK, so go to the developer site, looking for a Linux download generally, for ZorinOS it will be a .deb specifically, which I assume is short for Debian.

Minecraft also has an Other Version, I believe .gz Linux distro, and an Arch Linux or ArchOS distro. I assume these are not preferred for Zorin?

I got under the impression you were supposed to install from Flathub or the store. I will now relieve myself of this impression.

Thank you. Downloading the Debian (.deb) release of Minecraft, will report back later. Assuming it is a double-click to install, or is that too Windows-centric thinking?

Will mark a solution if this authentication process sticks and I don't have to keep entering my password.

1 Like

I walk on eggshells, here.

There are benefits to using Flatpak or Snap on occasion. These benefits are enough to convince the ZorinGroup (ease of use, less dependency errors) that they are viable.
As I outlined above, I disagree. But to every two sides are... two sides. I want to remain fair and provide all sides - you can make your own decisions.
I just prefer that users have an informed decision.

.deb is the packaging system used by all Debian based systems, including Ubuntu and Zorin OS.

I would say that these are User Prefernce, not OS preference. The .tar.gz files need only be extracted, then three commands issued to install.
As you ask, a .deb package on Zorin OS only needs to be double-clicked to install. As you see here, same results, different method. I can use either just as easily as the other. You may prefer a double click approach as easier.
But being versatile and able to handle either method is really the best way to go, even if you lean toward the double click method - when you run into a package that can only be installed from source- you know how.

I think that one of the biggest problems in Linux for installing packages is that the many methods also allows for confusion. Let's say you look up an installation guide on a certain package and that guide is outdated. That your system has different dependencies (Different common libraries used to run an application). You may not realize this and so you may get tangled up in trying to meet the dependencies instead of choosing a different installation method. People generally try to stick with what they know. After using Linux for a while, this becomes easier with experience. But for starting out, it can be a sticky web.

These- are your intros. It will get easier... But as it is for now, if you find yourself stuck or something doesn't make sense; We Are Here. Ask (as you have been). Don't let yourself fall down the rabbit-hole of chasing dependencies when... There's probably better way.

1 Like

Well it makes sense to me... In Linux-speak - use trusted repositories, and these generally will be found on the developer's site. In Windows you could download from MajorGeeks or Cnet Downloads, but it is generally better (in my experience) to download directly from the developer, as on the Windows-side of things these downloads usually have additional stuff bundled it.

I wonder if the Linux community has to worry about carefully reading the terms of an install, in case there is some checked option to change the homepage of your browsers or something like that - similar to what I run into with Windows trying to find free or open source software... Wandering off topic here...

OK, so I am now uninstalling everything I installed with Flathub. Hit a hiccup with Kdenlive... There is an AppImage, and that is what they recommend. There is a .ppa, but it looks as though you have to use the terminal to install.

So in the order of preference, (n your opinion and the Linux community in general) for ZorinOS and Ubuntu based distros... Debian sounds like the top of the list, followed by .ppa. But how about AppImage - is that OK or another issue?

1 Like

App images are fine, I use several.

uhhh... Actually, I don't think I have run across that. I have not used windows for almost two years now... I am getting spoiled. I had forgotten about that aggravation

Best way to be... :smiley:

OK Aravisian...

Here is a link to the MPV media player. Very nice player, much better than VLC IMO:
https://mpv.io/installation/

Now would you mind walking this n00b step-by-step through just which download/install method he should choose here - which is the most preferred and why?

Good learning opportunity here. No easy, simple package to download here. Sigh...

Open terminal with the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+t

Enter in sudo apt install mpv

That's it.

EDIT: Sorry; I neglected the "why":
Installing from the Universe Repository ensures that all dependencies will be met and all shared libraries or shared object files match the installed program.
The above method is also the easiest.

So should I just try that with everything I install?

OK, so the login issue with Minecraft has been resolved. Uninstalled then reinstalled with the Debian package. Asked me for login info once, then remembered. Good enough for me. Marked the solution.

I suppose I should do a video tutorial series for this stuff...