USB writing applications (Etcher casualties UNITE!)

Has anyone ever tried "MultiSystem" ??
It let's you install multiple iso's and I even have the possibility to install Window iso's. I using it since Zorin 15.3 and works good for me without any further problems.

2 Likes

I have and it is pretty good, too.

1 Like

By the way another way to test or mount the iso is Virtualbox of course.

1 Like

I have tried Multi-Boot but that didn't work for me. Its an APP that allows you to burn multiple ISO's onto one USB stick, and I guess it uses its own like GRUB boot loader menu for you to choose which OS you want to use.

The reason I said, "I guess," is because it never worked for me, never could get it to boot into its menu or any OS for that matter. All the stupid thing did, was let my OS that was on my hard drive boot normally.

I gave up on multi ISO's burned onto one USB stick after that. I put all those writes to my flash drive, wearing it out further, for nothing! It really made me angry.

1 Like

It's "MULTISYSTEM" -- not the same as Multi-Boot. But you're right because Multisystem also installs its own grub menu, but is thats because of the multiple iso's you can choose from.

1 Like

I am yet another etcher casualty:

Thank you etcher for haunting my dreams now

3 Likes

Balena Etcher: -10
Rufus: +5 (Good for Windows users)
MultiSystem: +20! (but needs to run on a Linux System!)

You can even download an iso based on Ubuntu 16.04 of MultiSystem from Sourceforge and create your USB sticks that way but not managed to try in live mode! Never got round to installing. Emmabuntus also comes with MultiSystem App built in!

2 Likes

What does Ventoy get? :wink:

Not heard of that one ... as they say "You learn something new every day!" :wink:

Trust me... This one is Worth Checking Out.
I have always been a diehard unetbootin guy - or multisystem.
Ventoy has blown me away. It is like using Windows, then switching to Zorin.

2 Likes

I am so very sorry to hear yet again, we have another Etcher casualty in our ranks. Balena Etcher needs to stop being promoted as the go too, tool, for burning ISO's.

Rufus or Unetbootin, are the recommended ISO burners for Windows users.

And SWARF hasn't heard of Popsicle either. For folks who are already Linux users, and just want to distro hop like a rabbit, I recommend Popsicle.

2 Likes

Balena denies all responsibility and claims that it is impossible for balena etcher to kill flash disks:

In the very same post, however they cover how to recover a USB stick that balena etcher breaks.

Another thing Balena etcher breaks: Trust.

3 Likes

Hear, hear!!

1 Like

I find it quit funny that there are thousands of reports if not more and they still deny it's not their fault(s) ... :joy:

Our team flashes hundreds of SD Cards a week while experimenting and deploying devices.

Guess with dummy sticks :rofl:

3 Likes

I believe Barena was originally designed to write a disk image to microSD. That how I install my RasPi OS and it never fail to write on microSD.

But micro SD and USB memory are different beasts.
What's good for the goose is good for the gander does not apply in this case.

2 Likes

Curiously, even after 2 USB sticks were lost, cheap USB stick were blamed not Etcher itself.

I lost 2 genuine Sandisk USB sticks to Etcher.
While those no-name USB sticks are fine with other writing apps such as Rufus and MintStick.
Circumstantial evidence still points towards Etcher for this destruction
:female_detective:

Statistical analysis? Why does it happen so much more frequently with Balena Etcher than it does for Unetbootin or Rufus?

1 Like

Who's gonna put a bell on the cat?
:cat2:

I never had problems with Balena but it screams “Microsoft” to me. It took forever to image a USB.

Given the typical ~20 minute installation time of Linux distros, if I have to spend Windows-style time intervals to install Linux then I’ll get rid of the most obvious bottleneck. Suffice to say I only used Balena once.

1 Like

Some thing tells me you only use dd....