Very big space eater

difference about 6gb is it small?

I see your point.

I was looking at the available space - which you see is the same: 117.4gigs.

All OS's, it doesn't matter which one, will reserve space for temporary files and the like. I do not just mean those in the /temp folder. This includes all on-the-go writes and rewrites.
While 6 gigs is not insignificant... these days... Well, gigs are getting smaller, just like the world.
On read shows the actual space and the other accounts for reserved space.
But both show the same available space.

I understand. is it possible to free up? please suggest I free up unnecessary space because my space is small. I am afraid of continuously eating spaces. Windows use fixed space for installing software. In fact, it doesn't show the exact space value in the file manager. How to determine how many spaces are free? I am sure it takes some unnecessary space may be downloaded files from flathub. where is the location of the downloaded file using flathub?

Usually, space getting filled swiftly is due to System Logs being over-filled.
It is not normal for it to happen and it means that something is wrong enough that it keeps filling ysstem logs.
Have you tried:

journalctl --vacuum-time=10d

hasibul@hasibul-S551LN:~$ journalctl --vacuum-time=10d

Vacuuming done, freed 0B of archived journals from /run/log/journal.
Vacuuming done, freed 0B of archived journals from /run/log/journal/4b7afb2210934fc5a8a393c385b4e01a.

my question is where is the space goes? where is the location of temporary downloaded files? I mean maybe it is store original file after install.

It is not normal for it to happen and it means that something is wrong enough that it keeps filling ysstem logs.

you got the problem. I am using stacer but it makes free only about 1gb of cach.

The above pic shows 117GB of the total, so 117−44 should be 73GB free, it is ok, but it not showing. Here is my problem. please give some suggestion. thanks for your help man.

What about the size of /var/log?

ls -lSsh /var/log

Let's check your disk totals:

df -h

Maybe I found the problem.
hasibul@hasibul-S551LN:~$ df -h
df: /run/user/1000/doc: Operation not permitted
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 3.6G 0 3.6G 0% /dev
tmpfs 740M 9.9M 730M 2% /run
/dev/sda2 110G 45G 60G 43% /
tmpfs 3.7G 0 3.7G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 3.7G 0 3.7G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sda1 96M 6.9M 89M 8% /boot/efi
tmpfs 740M 160K 740M 1% /run/user/1000
/dev/sdb1 932G 555G 377G 60% /media/hasibul/WD_BACKUP

How to delete this tmp file?

This is the line we want to focus on.
Can you open your App menu and type disk
It should offer Disk Usage Analyzer.
Launch it - it will be a wait... it can take quite a while (Though shouldn't be longer than about 15 minutes) for it to run
Then screenshot or post the output here.

Home holds the most (It usually does).
Can you clock the arrow for home, then the one for your Username...
Then look at what is taking up the most space in Home directory?

I checked but I think everything is necessary. How to stop continuously eating space? is there any way? Please suggest me.

I cannot really suggest anything when I do not understand what space is being eaten.
Your screenshots do not show massive space being eaten. It looks quite normal.
Can you please clarify?

This command requires sudo to work.

1 Like

Android studio as a flatpak will take that much, even more with projects in that directory (if you don't use an external dir for projects). It is possible to install Android Studio by apt.

The system will also reserve so much, as Aravisian said, which won't be shown. Example: i have 32GB of Ram, and it shows 31.4 available total. My external 5TB WD Black drive shows 4.98TB available.... nothing is lost, missing or not used, it's Linux way. Reserved space isn't always calculated in.

ok. I got it. thanks.

Maybe you'd like to check if you have this file, too :point_down:.

I'm not sure which file system you're running, but if you can enable compression, that can save you quite a bit of hard drive space. I'm getting 1.76:1 compression on ZFS file system.

sudo zfs get all rpool | grep compressratio
rpool  compressratio         1.76x                  -
rpool  refcompressratio      1.00x                  -
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.