What would you like to see in ZorinOS 17

I wish Synaptic was pre-installed on Zorin OS instead of Gnome Software.

komorebi is dead, buried and full of bugs. Try Hidamari instead.

2 Likes

Interesting tool

in mint.
Tool what can help update a earlier version mint.

@Bourne: What has this to do with the OP’s question ??? I really don’t get it…

It must be mistakes. Ibet administrators can moved that post or delete.

I want to see xfce18, and a version based on debian 11.

2 Likes

Support for 5Ghz wifi dongles like Realtek. Deepin 23 Alpha has it. Works great.

1 Like

I want seeing Zorin 17 will be stable like apple.

Does anybody know when will Zorin 17.0 will most likely be released?

The current estimate is mid-2023

I have read through this with interest. In my experience with Linux, I have personally gained the impression that a distribution that concentrates on a few and mostly proven things does comparatively little wrong. Otherwise users will notice this and then turn away in frustration.
For me, Gnome 3 (whether 3.36.8 or 3.38) is mature and completely satisfactory in terms of both resource consumption and work possibilities. My experiences with Gnome 41 or 43 were not such that I need to switch. In Zorin 17, however, a mature Gnome 4x (whichever one) will do well.
I wish that the ootb experience will continue to be so good. It should be important that flatpaks and snaps work. I use both, but I understand that there are users who don't and don't want to. Fortunately, one is free to do so.
Libreoffice should be as up-to-date as possible; it is developing well. You can of course use Libreoffice as a flatpak or snap, but in fact I've had problems with both in this case.
Wayland should run well. It does in Gnome.

I would like to see a slicker menu.
When mouse rolls over entries the submenus should be shown to the right.

I would like to see Synaptic Package Manager pre-installed on Zorin OS.

2 Likes

I tried it before but it was not the latest version of KDE. I want to see an official KDE desktop from official Zorin iso file.

1 Like

Real desktop version Zorin where working everything Perfect like another operating system to be a popular like a windows or Apple. Dreams in future if IA could do that or reverse engineering.

1. The ability to set up and size ZFS partitions during install (to include setting it up with bpool on one drive, rpool on another, swap on a third), rather than settling for what the installer designates. That includes the ability to set up cache, SLOG, etc. drives during install, and the ability to set up ZFS parameters (such as turning off atime, setting the hashing algorithm, setting compression options) during install.

2. The ability to uninstall (or not install in the first place) portions of the OS that one doesn't need, with a GUI that would allow one to do so... for instance, there's a lot of CUPS-related files that can be done away with if one doesn't intend on printing from the machine (except dependencies prevent it right now).

I envision a GUI that shows the base files installed, with sliders to enable a feature, disable it, or disable and uninstall it.

I bet I could get below 3 GB installed size if I could remove all the CUPS-related files, but if I ever get a printer (I keep talking my wife out of it... she may someday overrule me and buy one anyway), it'd be handy to just click a slider to reinstall everything needed to print.

1 Like

This made me think of the windows 3.1 installer where it prompts if you want printer support and if so what brands of printer lol

Rufus on the Software.

Will ZorinOS 17 preserve vertical workspaces?

The new Gnome shell uses horizontal workspaces but I've grown accustomed to the workflow of having my workspaces stacked vertically.

Any news on what the workspaces will look like?

Well for me Zorin 17 will be just a Zorin lilke always. I don't expect it will huge changes. Why? Because linux is chaos where people don't shoot like a team to the same a gate in football. Besides people who creating any distribution are volunteering. Propably Zorin 17 will going with Gnome.

Might be simple or not....I would like to see a "reinstall" of OS with "Keep your personal files and Folders in Home Directory option"...

Therefore, anything happens, I can just reinstall without the worry of losing anything....I do use Timeshift, but still will be a nice add on to the iso installer...

A far fetch one will be integrated Waydroid ( android apps)...

One more...Search compatibility....I use Albert which is awesome (searches files, calculations, the web etc. I even have a search icon withing my Zorin Os to click it on or a hot key within the keyboard settings to trigger it on (note, if use Wayland, the Albert built in hot key doesn't work (only for x11), that's why i built in a hot key within the keyboard settings).

Honestly that's it...Right now I don't have a PC for gaming so can't help you in that realm.

Love Zorin OS!