Wi-fi not detected in HP Pavilion ec1019au

For future reference who purchase a system with similar hardware you need to turn off secure boot in BIOS for these drivers to work. Because I think they are not signed drivers and don't come included with the kernel at the time of writing this.

1 Like

No, it did not work as expected.
Correcting myself. This is for future visitors.
I tried Ubuntu 23.04 again to hop from Zorin. The reality is that it does not have the required driver.
Ubuntu 23.04 supports RTL8852AE and RTL8852CE by default but not RTL8852BE. So, what happens is Wi-Fi will work for few seconds or minutes and then it drops connection indefinitely until next reboot. This happens in loop. You get connection and lose connection.
Unfortunately, lwfinger's git repo signed Wi-Fi drivers did not work. Wi-Fi completely got disappeared from Settings after installing lwfinger's drivers. Bad thing is WiFi has disappeared in Windows 11 too :upside_down_face:. I don't have time to debug the issues. So, here I am back at Zorin with HRex39 drivers for Wi-Fi + Bluetooth.

My strong suggestion: Stay away from Pavilion series of HP laptops if they come with AMD processor. They are using different kinds of hardware maybe for cost optimisation which may not have drivers now or may not come never. I saw most of the forums have issues related to Pavilion range.

2 Likes

I tried MX Linux 23 today with Advanced hardware support. Kernel is at 6.4. Bad news is that the driver for Wi-Fi in question was not merged yet. That's a lot of delay for a chip that was released during 2017.

Have you yet tried:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/kablosuz

sudo apt update

sudo apt install rtw89-dkms

From what I have been reading, the rtl8852be should be merged into rtw89.

Should I uninstall current drivers ([lwfinger] before doing this?

I tried modprobe'ing rtw_8852be in MX Linux it wasn't there but i could see rtw_8852ae & rtw_8852ce. So, I doubt it.

Apologies, I was not very clear. It was merged into rtw89.

You would not be installing nor module probing 8852be. You would be using rtw89-dkms.

Yes. And also use modprobe -r on any wifi modules you previously probed.

Thanks for the quick response.

rtw89-dkms is available in latest kernels is what you are saying?
If yes, then I'm not sure why Wi-Fi module works only for 2 minutes or so. Then it would disappear permanently.

I wonder if this is pointing to a hardware issue if failing on both Zorin and Windows.
Maybe a cheap WiFi or WiFi+BT USB dongle would save time and headache. Although that may occupy valuable USB real estate if a Laptop.

Another simple thing to try. Reboot your WiFi Router, if you have not already done so.

1 Like

This is solved already.

I couldn't modprobe rtw89-dkms

Can you please clarify this?

You do not need to modprobe rtw89-dkms.
As above - 8852be is merged into rtw89. So you would modprobe 8852 except that you would only do so if you installed 8852 as a module.

That reply was for @zabadabadoo regarding problem with Wi-Fi on Windows.

I need to issue "sudo modprobe rtw89-8852be" , right?

After removing 8852e, reboot and perform lshw -c network. That will tell us the driver in use and any action required.

1 Like

Oh, I see thanks.

You might try sudo modprobe rtw89pci but realistically, you should not need to modprobe at all in these steps.
Also please note 337harveys post above.

Finally i found someone who has the same problem as mine.
This thread exactly describes what i'm trying to say: No available wifi networks shortly after booting up - #66 by ricklinux - Newbie - EndeavourOS
Yes, wifi comes but goes off eventually after few seconds or minutes with rtw89-dkms.
Looks like they merged the driver but it doesn't work as expected. Can you please tell me where can I raise the issue?

Few logs:

sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for mani: 
  *-generic                 
       description: Wireless interface
       product: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       logical name: wlo1
       version: ff
       serial: 10:68:38:c3:2a:2c
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 66MHz
       capabilities: bus_master vga_palette cap_list ethernet physical wireless
       configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtw89_8852be driverversion=5.19.0-32-generic firmware=N/A latency=255 link=no maxlatency=255 mingnt=255 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
       resources: irq:81 ioport:f000(size=256) memory:fcf00000-fcffffff

Note: Above commands prints out IP if connected to internet but by the time I issued the command internet is gone.

inxi -Na
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek driver: rtw89_8852be v: N/A modules: rtw_8852be pcie:
    speed: Unknown lanes: 63 link-max: gen: 6 speed: 64 GT/s port: N/A
    bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 10ec:b852 class-ID: 0280
sudo depmod -an | grep 8852be
updates/dkms/rtw_8852be.ko: updates/dkms/rtw_8852b.ko updates/dkms/rtw89pci.ko updates/dkms/rtw89core.ko kernel/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko kernel/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko kernel/lib/crypto/libarc4.ko
alias pci:v000010ECd0000B85Bsv*sd*bc*sc*i* rtw_8852be
alias pci:v000010ECd0000B852sv*sd*bc*sc*i* rtw_8852be
journalctl -b0 -p4 -r --grep="blue|wireless"
Aug 03 15:44:50 AMD kernel: Bluetooth: hci0: AOSP quality report is not support>

You sadly may need to consider getting a Wifi USB adapter that is Linux Compatible.

(Side note: This thread is marked as Solved - but the recent posts imply it is not yet solved.)

Hi @Aravisian
Sorry for spamming the thread after I marked a solution.
Of course it solved the problem but it is a work around and there is some work involved every time there is a kernel update.
Sometimes I panic when WiFi cutoff when I just do sudo apt upgrade and then I realize that I need to recompile the drivers and reinstall (if that upgrade involves a kernel upgrade).
Sure, the problem is solved but PARTIALLY.
I'm sure this thread will be useful for the people who buys a laptop with this hardware.

Let this be the last reply in this thread.

1 Like

Not at all. It was me that misunderstood. I had thought that your Wifi was cutting out after a few minutes of use.

Yes - having to reinstall the Wifi Drivers after each kernel upgrade can be annoying. But, there is a workaround for that, too. You can lock the kernel in so that you may upgrade fearlessly.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.