Windows 11 Dual Boot Possible?

Hello, I'm new to the forum and Zorin , but have been a Linux user for 10 + years dual booting with Windows since the beginning. I recently built a system with two drives and have Zorin and Windows 10 on different drives both using TPM 2.0, UEFI, and Secure Boot.

I verified with system info in Win 10 on Linux drive with the command line.
~$ mokutil --sb-state
SecureBoot enabled

~$ ls /sys/firmware/efi
config_table  esrt              fw_vendor      runtime      systab
efivars       fw_platform_size  mok-variables  runtime-map  vars

~$ dmesg | grep -i tpm
[    0.000000] efi: ACPI 2.0=0x9eb4f000 ACPI=0x9eb4f000 TPMFinalLog=0x9ebb9000 SMBIOS=0x9f539000 MEMATTR=0x996f2018 ESRT=0x9b535818 MOKvar=0x9a6a8000 RNG=0x9f551e18 TPMEventLog=0x93a89018 
[    0.012534] ACPI: TPM2 0x000000009EB9ECF8 000034 (v04 ALASKA A M I    00000001 AMI  00000000)
[    0.012559] ACPI: Reserving TPM2 table memory at [mem 0x9eb9ecf8-0x9eb9ed2b]

Right now the prospect of dual booting the final release of Win 11 is looking pretty good based on the known hardware and security requirements and I will have an answer to my question soon enough. For anyone following a similar path do some research on secure boot . UEFI, and MOK as it relates to Debian/Ubuntu based distros.

You need to disable secure boot to install Zorin OS. If not there is a high chance you cannot install.

You don't have to, Zorin Os actually supports Secure Boot and UEFI, it is recommended that you disable it if you're having problems.

Point me out if I'm wrong :grin:

@Kedric , you are correct . Secure boot causes problems for some users, but will be a requirement for Win 11. AFIK most Ubuntu/Debian based distos support secure boot.

1 Like

Not necessary so.
I have installed both Win 10 and 11 on a Gigabyte m/b with secureboot disabled.

It is true that you can work in zorin with secure boot enabled. During the first configuration and updates to the kernel/drivers, it is recommended you disable secure boot so it doesn't cause issues. Most Linux drivers are not signed and until installed/updated, it may cause failures if enabled.

Be aware that if you perform a bios update this will most likely reenable secure boot.

I understand your perception, but all of Linux is based on community contributions anymore. To say that because a developer is not part of an oem company they are not reputable is to say Linux isn't reputable. It then begs the question, why are you using it? Just saying.

1 Like

I misunderstood, my apologies.

I also tend to skim through posts, not reading as i should, making my understanding flawed.

2 Likes

Found something that might help you:

It wasn't lack of support but an Ubuntu update that broke this. Follow the recommendations in the above thread to resolve your issue.

The system was built around a supported CPU. PC health check was giving mixed results with no explanation as to why some systems were not supported and pulled by MS. I'm waiting for the final release of Win 11 before proceeding due to possible changes and also, I don't want to be part the Windows insider program.

I had to use MOK for enrollment of a Nvidia driver, the rest were included with the kernel.

I'm in no hurry and if I get impatient the Windows update assistant will provide the latest build updates.

Do you really think that ? Microsoft Give support to 8th gen intel and up ... i think more then 50% of the users can't even upgrade. I expect that many users will swap to linux duo their "new standards".

Most users don't even know 'Linux' exist...

90% will just upgrade to a better computer :joy:

Yeah that is exactly what MS wants to put through peoples throats. Don't forget the hardware prices are insane these days.

I suspect we'll find out at the last minute. Win 10 will have support 2025 which will be a 10 year run. MS doesn't want support/patch any CPUs that were vulnerable to spectre and meltdown.

Yes i know W10 has support till 2025, thats 4 years from now on. My laptop had the spectre issue, acer fixed it with a bios update. So i don't know why MS should support/patch it. They do allow 3 of their devices

IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ 7-7800X
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-7820HQ[1]
IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-7820X

It is what it is, Microsoft is trying to tighten their security. Microsoft don't want a bad reputation to be an OS with a bunch of viruses. They clearly are trying, you can't blame Microsoft for this. Microsoft Store is also one of their attempts to try to have something like Linux or MacOs, which is more secure.

Even though Windows11 is not supported on the hardware, you can still install it, but it will just warn you. Most users also don't know how to update Windows anyway. They just buy a new computer with Windows/Mac Os.

It is hard for Microsoft because they want to make an OS for all, especially noobs. All Windows is not a bad piece of software, they're just not for me. I don't hate Windows, actually I understand that the average user can't just switch.

It is what it is, Microsoft may sound evil trying to cut support, but there is a company trying to make money. I know open source is free, but it's just not mainstream and many programs just won't run on it even with WINE.

Linux also don't have good marketing, the reason Linux can't get on desktop is that we can't get more OEMs to sell computers with Linux.

Windows 11 devs are also trying very hard to make a successful product. I think Windows 11 will be pretty good.

Although, Windows is proprietary, i understand that they can't open source it. Open source things don't earn you as much money.

And if your a person who judges what operating system they use, keep in mind that your a basement dweller that hasn't seen the sun for a whole year.

This is just my thoughts on "Microsoft crazy requirements for Windows11"

Microsoft last good OS was Windows 7, after that it took the road downwards. Linux on the other hand is going upwards lol.

As for the windows 11 specs, still the atom series can't beat my i7-7700HQ

|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6200FE|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6211E|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6212RE|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6413E|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6414RE|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6425E|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6425RE|
|IntelĀ® |AtomĀ® |x6427FE|