Windows apps installation issues

libgnutls-dev:i386 has no installation candidate

Game directory: written in my very first post on this thread.
Synaptic: click the linked word “synaptic“ in my post just before this one - all instructions are on that link

Wine Version is currently 6.0 thanks tp @Aravisian
to date im still getting the 'This application requires Windows 7 SP1 with Platform Update or later

I did a search for “linux wine application requires Windows 7 SP1” and the first (and only relevant) result I found was:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25260

That thread is almost 6 years old. The last post on that thread links to a bug report that if you click on that and scroll to the end, the bug was resolved in version 5.18.
Given all that, I hope you will consider posting your current problem at: Linux - WineHQ Forums
I am certain that if you tell them about this problem then they will find a resolution. Please give it a try.

1 Like

i got lost completely,can someone give me an easy step by step instruction? firstly this DWM thing they are on about doesnt exist no matter what i seem to install... please help

Here is what I did when I installed Soulstorm on PlayOnLinux:
a. If output of wine --version is NOT wine-6.0, then do steps 1 & 2 here: NET Framework 4.5.2 - #5 by carmar
b. Install playonlinux using Synaptic.
c. Steps on playonlinux are easy - all buttons & no terminal commands:
i. Click Install button
ii. Click Next 4 times
iii. Enter name of a virtual drive - make up a name
iv. Click Next 2 times
v. Choose either 32 bit or 64 bit - if after installation, the game doesn't work on 32 bit, then try 64 bit and reinstall and try again.
vi. Browse to game installation .exe file and click Ok. The .exe will run just like on Windows and MAKE NOTE OF THE INSTALLATION PATH.
vii. Wait for the .exe to finish running - just like on Windows. Make sure you have unchecked any options to run the game at the end of the install. Some GOG installers tend to have this option.
viii. After the installer is done, the system returns you to the PlayOnLinux menu which asks you if you want to create a shortcut. Select the Browse option (2nd option) on that list and browse to the game executable using Home -> PlayOnLinux's Virtual Drives -> Name you gave the Virtual Drive in step iii -> drive_c -> your game installation folder based on step vi.
ix. PlayOnLinux will create a shortcut on your desktop which you can then double-click to launch your game.

I don't know about anything outside of PlayOnLinux but the above directions are the easiest they'll ever be.

2 Likes

It seem really straight forward and my wine version thanks to @Aravisian is 6.0
So I'm gonna jump to step 'b.'

Playonlinux wasn't installed for some reason...installing it..

I still get the error 'Runtime Error (at -1:0):

And then I tried another anothe installation using 32bit option and I got 'Access violation at address 00000000'

What's weird is Studio One for example was working when I first installed ZorinOS light

DOW shouldn't give an access violation. If it does then reinstall Wine - POL is just a front-end, the problem lies with how Wine is installed. I've played Soulstorm, DOW II, Gothic Armada, using POL - no problems with any of them either on install or when running them.

As for the other applications, try searching the net for "Wine access violation" to see what results you get.
Also try asking here: GamersOnLinux

1 Like

i found this im still reading up on the DWM section
after Ubuntu installation Part

Hello All.

Im new here and in Linux.
Im trying to install Winbind and used the following solutions

• Synaptic Package Manager
  • Command line
    Couldn t install Winbind in either way.
    When I try to install Office 2010 with wine and Play on Linux, it crashes always.
    Please, can someone advise on how to proceed ?
    Thank you and regards,

Jean-Pierre.

What steps have you taken so far?

what method did you use to install Wine and did you add any repositories to do so?

Hello Aravisian.

I installed wine with Play on Linux and
tried to install Winband with the help of Synaptic Package Manager
Tried also to install Winband using the Command line with the instruction sudo apt-get install winbind
If I go to the Software Centre and I search for Winband I don t find it.
If you need aditional information, please let me know.
Thank you in advance for your help.

Winband or winbind?

There's a winbind in synaptics;
Samba is an implementation of the SMB/CIFS protocol for Unix systems,
providing support for cross-platform file sharing with Microsoft Windows, OS X,
and other Unix systems. Samba can also function as a domain controller
or member server in both NT4-style and Active Directory domains.

This package provides winbindd, a daemon which integrates authentication
and directory service (user/group lookup) mechanisms from a Windows
domain on a Linux system.

Winbind based user/group lookups via /etc/nsswitch.conf can be enabled via
the libnss-winbind package. Winbind based Windows domain authentication can
be enabled via the libpam-winbind package.

winbind

When running the command; sudo apt install winbind
What output do you get?

1 Like

jpthiran@jpthiran-HP-G7000-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt install winbind
[sudo] password for jpthiran:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
winbind is already the newest version (2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.23).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
python3-click python3-colorama
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
jpthiran@jpthiran-HP-G7000-Notebook-PC:~$