Zorin 16 Wifi hook-up

Hi,
Having made the decision to attempt to migrate from Windows to Linux via (Zorin 16 pro) and all that may encompass. I am immediately faced with a problem I did not envisage, that being Wi-Fi hook up. It is I would have thought an immediate necessity in commencing the learning curve to have access to the web. Unfortunately at the moment I am facing a hurdle I did not expect.
I have fully replaced Windows 10 on an old laptop my son used, a Toshiba C660 64 bit and installation proved no problem. Then after realising there could be a incompatibility problem regarding the wifi hook-up software I investigated further. Following the suggestion of a couple of experienced youtuber’s I purchased a ‘Panda Wireless PAU05’ at £44 which did make me cough a bit. Nevertheless, as I could receive it the following day I went for it. It was emphasised by both youtuber’s that it had the potential to plug and play straight out of the box with no installation disk. This however was not the case and even with the installation disc in the unit, the wifi hook-up does not take place. Oh and the Wifi modem is in the same room as the laptop.
I would gratefully accept any help just to get me off the ground in this migration. Thank you.

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

There is no need for special WiFi connection software/driver in Linux.
Everything is within in the kernel including drivers.
In some occasions, third party drivers are needed for some peripherals but those are exception

I've never heard of such thing in my 15 years of Linux experience. My hunch is that you do not need this gismo.

To diagnose your system, please open the terminal by pressing ctrl+alt+T then issue the following command:
lspci

then paste the output in your reply.

Is this it?

I am afraid you paid 3 times more than what it should be.
You can get similar item in less than 15 Euro around here.
If you are OK with slower 150bps, they should not cost more than 6 Euro.

Here is my collection of USB WiFi, all are personally tested on Linux by me.

Ok, thanks for the quick response. Yes that is the one, I did think it was expensive. So can I ask do you think it should work and maybe it is faulty and wants returning?

If you can still return for refund, you should do so.
You are the second person I saw misguided by Youtubers.
They used use a blog for stealth marketing but now they seems to change their adobe to Youtube :frowning:

Again thanks, I will return the unit. I am having to go out now, but on my return I will start-up and add your command to the terminal then let you know. Now I have become a member to this forum I shall stick to asking my queries here.

2 Likes

Yup :+1:
I also have to go out in another three hours for some appointment.
If you do not get a reply from me immediately, do not worry. There are lots of friendly volunteers on this forum who will happily assist you :slight_smile:

Let's see if we can help him :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi, result of terminal command;

peter@peter-Satellite-C660:~$ lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)

00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)

00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev 05)

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM55 Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)

06:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter (rev 01)

ff:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 05)

ff:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 05)

ff:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 05)

ff:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 05)

ff:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 05)

ff:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 1st Generation Core i3/5/7 Processor Reserved (rev 05)

1 Like

sudo apt install git

git clone https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver.git && cd rtl8188ce-linux-driver && ./install.sh

1 Like

I am impressed by how much organised you are!

1 Like

Hi, michel, much appreciate your assistance. But as a newbie still getting to grips with the terminal. So having put in the top line 'sudo apt.... I instinctively pressed enter to start a new line and of course that has presented me with a request for password. Woops. can I continue or do need to return a line?

Yep, you will need to enter the password and when a confirmation prompt appears press and enter 'Y'...that will install git. After that only you can run the git clone... command.

1 Like

Oops...
Perhaps USB dongle is the easy solution.
Compile driver from git may be a bit too much for beginners.

My recommendation is RT5572 in the picture above.
It is 300bps and works with Linux OOB :slight_smile:

1 Like

Surely @PeterC can try this, if he feels comfortable doing that :slight_smile:

Your right, thats why i posted them in 2 so you would understand :wink:

First write in terminal sudo apt install git and hit enter

Then write in terminal git clone https://github.com/FreedomBen/rtl8188ce-linux-driver.git && cd rtl8188ce-linux-driver && ./install.sh and hit enter

To make no mistakes, copy everything with your mouse and past it in the terminal.

2 Likes

I hope Peterc knows that when pasting into the terminal he needs to use ctrl shift v, and not ctrl v . or use the right mouse button for pasting. Something I did not know when I started with using the terminal.

3 Likes

It would seem I am limited to 5 links and unable to continue at the moment.

I am sorry Michel but everytime I try and respond to this post I am told I cannot because I am still limited to 5 links. So for the moment I am not sure what to do.