Zorin won't boot after reboot

Tried?

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
5 Likes

Tried, Finds nothing to update

2 Likes

If I were you I would backup everything on a hard drive and reinstall the OS, and Block all the updates forever :joy:
If you want to continue on the same try contacting a Linux expert (if you can find one) because I can only provide limited help here and cannot ask you to send hundreds of messages that will lead your query nowhere :man_shrugging:

I suppose video drivers are causing the problem but cannot guarantee what's wrong!

5 Likes

I did that before... Is there a way to reinstall the os so that all the programs keep working? I assumed everything I do goes into my home dir, but apparently not. What root directories do I need to backup to keep everything?

2 Likes

This will be a great step, please think before you use it :smile:

5 Likes

Didn't do anything...

1 Like
5 Likes

Zorin installer doesn't give a reinstall option, so I will have to star over again....

1 Like
5 Likes

If you boot a earlier kernel from Zorin Advanced Options, does that give you a working system?
If so it is possible to use that kernel and remove the latest updated kernel that is problematic.

1 Like

Yes, I followed that before. The problem is that I have to reinstall all the programs, do the mounts, links and etc. Most of which I have no idea how I did...

1 Like

I have tried this the previous time the system broke and it didn't work. I will give it a go once I am back home

I can't believe it, but the older kernel worked!

Is there anything I can do going from here?

2 Likes

Help is real fast here :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

yup. So anyone can tell me what to do with my kernel problem? Do I just keep booting the old one and hope some future update will fix it?

1 Like

This may help you. [HOW TO] set an older kernel to default boot

thanks. I get that, but is there like any adverse effects on using an older kernel? I am by no means anywhere close to being an expert, but it is logical to assume that you should be using latest version software for security and such? Or is it not that way in Linux?

1 Like

There should be no adverse effect of running an older kernel. We read on here frequently about people suffering issues immediately after a kernel update. If you do some searching on the furum, you will see what I mean.
That is not to say a future kernel update may come along that is good on your system. But for now you have a functioning system, so consider it at least a work-round.
Running a older kernel should not affect security.

alright. Thanks for the help and the info.

And we're back to not booting again... :confused: