ZorinOS 16.2 will not install on Dell XPS 13 9370

Zorin OS 16.2 will not install on my laptop Dell XPS 13 9370. Rufus or Etcher made no difference for me, regardless of which, with three different downloads of the ZorinOS 16.2 ISO (checksummed all three ISOs and they checked out ok) and tried on three different USB:s, it just simply will not install on my laptop (running with the latest firmwares and BIOS) making it the first distro where an installer behaves this way. It just halts (with a black screen) shortly after I have made my installation choice, regardless of what choice I make. Weird.

Zorin 16.1 and Mint 21 installs just fine (with the same setup) so from my point of view there is something different going on with the installer for ZorinOS 16.2. After installing 16.1 (again) it upgraded to 16.2 so it is not a big issue for me but I thought you all should know.

2 Likes

You know, I didn't had any problem on installing my Zorin Core, I didn't even used BalenaEtcher or Rufus because I could extract the .iso simply with WinRAR on another laptop, then I moved all files on a USB stick and ran the installation on this laptop (Asus K52N) from the BIOS. The whole procedure took me few minutes, and it's cool, I never attempted changing an OS before so :+1: but maybe your laptop doesn't match the minimum requirements :thinking:? If a laptop is too old or simply has problem installing a certain OS maybe better trying another similar, in this case there's Zorin Lite to stay on Zorin.

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) has compatible hardware, the specs are way above the minimum requirements so none of that is the issue.

As I wrote, ZorinOS 16.2 is installed now via 16.1 update manager, it is just the installer via USB that will not work.

Weird, if you want try searching zorin os black screen after install and see results, I did and looks like they can help. Otherwise you can try @ to summon Aravisian, Storm or other staff member and moderators that you know, help a lot, hi if you're reading :wave::grin:

1 Like

@Luca_Pavan I am thinking that since my two part goal has been achieved, (1) pointing out that there is a problem with the 16.2 installer on Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) but (2) that I can obtain it by installing 16.1 and upgrading to 16.2 through the software updater, my work is done/on hold unless someone from Zorin wants me to dig deeper and try out some fixes they may have in store for the installer in the future. I would be open to do that if they want me to.

3 Likes

Yes, reports like this are very helpful.
Some people will see the problem and move to a different distro or solve it as you had... and never say anything about it.
The best way to know to solve a problem is to know and acknowledge that the problem exists.
Thanks for taking a moment to report it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the great work you are doing. Much appreciated. The least I can do is to report the things I stumble across. Keep up the good work and let me know if I can help with figuring out what the matter is with the 16.2 installer on Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018).

1 Like

I may be assigning more to your post than you intended, but just for clarity: I am not a Zorin OS developer.
I am a Forum contributor that helps members on the forum.
However, I did send a direct link of your report to the ZorinGroup.
Which means you can rest assured that they have seen it and will attend to it.

4 Likes

Thanks for the solution, i am also having same issue with my msi laptop. i will try with your solution to the problem.

2 Likes

Did it work?

6 posts were split to a new topic: ZorinOS 16.2 will not install on Dell XPS 13 9370 4k

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.