Installation Errors!

He answear little up hp workstation mobile G3

Alternative Distributions

As an alternative to the installation of Ubuntu and subsequently fixing all problems, it is possible to install derived distributions from Ubuntu like Pop!_OS with NVIDIA support. In principle this is Ubuntu but with all the drivers necessary to make the graphics card, backlight, ACPI and touchpad work out of the box. The installation does also not require you to select discrete graphics by default, hence your battery life will be better.

Things that need to be changed in the BIOS (for Pop!_OS) are:

• Go to the Advanced tab, select Secure Boot Configuration.
  • Set Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable

After these changes you are good to go to install Pop!_OS.

1 Like

I gived him a link up you can check with instruction @FrenchPress

1 Like

@Aboammar
You could try the following procedure from the link given above by @Bourne.

Installation

This assumes a default BIOS setup. If you are unsure, load the BIOS factory defaults before making these proposed changes. You should also create a bootable USB drive with the Linux edition of your choice. (IMS personnel tests with the latest Ubuntu LTS release, which is 18.04 right now.)

Next, make the following BIOS settings changes.[2]

• Boot up the laptop and enter the BIOS options (repeatedly press escape during boot), select BIOS settings menu. When fast-boot and secureboot are enabled, this may take several tries.
  • Go to the Advanced tab, select Secure Boot Configuration.
  • Set Legacy Support Enable and Secure Boot Disable
  • Go back to the Advanced settings
  • Select Built-in device options
  • Set Graphics to Discrete

Now save and exit the setup, and press F9 to select boot from the USB drive. From the live desktop environment, the system can be installed. If you want to install Linux alongside an existing Windows, it may be useful to acquire a separate SSD hard drive to put Linux on.

In Ubuntu, start Software & Updates, and in the Other Software tab, enable the Canonical Partners repository. After refreshing the index, you'll be able to install the NVIDIA proprietary drivers for the GPU.

NOTE: As of NVIDIA driver version 435.17, hybrid graphics are supported, meaning that setting the graphics to discrete is not longer necessary. You still need to have the Intel graphics driver installed of course, and Xorg has to be version 1.20.7 or later.

Laptop brand, model and main specification mentioned in the main post. Please check it out.

I tried that in the BIOS and did not help

This option is not shown in my BIOS. And by the way, Zorin is already installed but does not run, so do you mean I need to reinstall it again?

No, I was wondering if there is any BIOS settings to temporally disable the problematic discreet GPU.
Once you get to Zorin desktop you can install appropriate driver for it.

BIOS Setup for HP ZBook - YouTube settings bios for linux.
One user wrote.Problem is solved.In my case UNetBootIn worked wrong. I used Rufus.
How to Dual Boot Ubuntu and Windows 10 [Works in 2021] - YouTube
I put links because more simple see and listening.
When desktop freeze.
How to Fix Ubuntu Linux Freezing on Boot - YouTube

Solved: Z Book G3 Failure to Install linux (Fedora or Ubuntu) - HP Support Community - 5787299 here your version laptop.
Go into the BIOS, switch the display mode from "Auto" to "Discreet" under Built-In Device Options

Power-On
Press "F10" to enter BIOS Setup
Navigate to "Advanced"
Navigate to "Built-in Device Options"
Set "Graphics" to "Discrete Graphics" (Other options are "Hybrid" and "Auto")
Save and Reboot

Problem Solved. Should be able to Boot and Install at will. (Works with Fedora 30)

Linux has traditionally had issues with laptops with internal and external video.. Best bet is just to force it to pick one..

1 Like

@FrenchPress i send him all information in last post here how to install linux some link movies if he not understand and link with tutorial for his version laptop.

2 Likes

Thank you :heavy_heart_exclamation:
You have been very helpful on the forum lately.
Much appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I just research on google. Nothing special. I know some people don't want waste a time for searching how doing some things. Yes forum is helpfull but I understand also Linux working out from the box - that when they have a Pro and support.
I am a simply a man volunteer. Besides I am using a link and movies because you know my language is not a good.

1 Like

Sharing is beautiful :hearts:

Yes you should change it to ahci, also make sure you try a different usb drive. I remember i have 2 usb drives. 1 is from sandisk which works with every linux distro out there and i have 1 from mediarange (if i remember the brand right) and that one refuses to boot with linux on some machines.

Edit: Yep its a MediaRange USB Stick, USB 3.0, 64 GB, Zilver. I don't recommend that stick for linux installation.

This one works great SanDisk Ultra Flair USB 3.0 Flash Drive - 16GB

1 Like

For future reference, it is always a good idea to check the SHA256 of the downloaded iso against the reference checksum published on the Zorin website, to verify the download is not corrupted. See item 1 in this pre-install list:

1 Like

There is no option that shows discrete GPU so I can not disable or enable it.

I checked the BIOS many times under the Built-In Devices Options and there is nothing there related to graphics! Here is screen shots for that page:

Nothing worked my friend

Please note that I was able to install Zorin as shared before. The problem is not installing, the problem is that Zorin is not starting correctly as you can see from the previous screenshots which very clearly indicates it is a GPU problem because Zorin got installed.

It is about Ubuntu 16.04 but should also work for Ubuntu 20.04 (which Zorin is based on). Curiously, Legacy BIOS setting is recommended.

Re: HP Zbook 15 G3 - ubuntu 16.04 - very annoying acpi issue

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2328988&page=2

Hi there,
I have testet a lot and and can confirm that Ubuntu 16.10 works out of the box.

In Ubuntu 16.04 it works for me if I
1) Change so I use NVIDIA binary (I use version 367.57) instead of Nouveau driver (which gives a GPU lockup or something)

2) Set pnpacpi=off in the boot (and remove the quiet splash etc stuff)
This can be done from GRUB pressing 'e' and replace "ro quiet splash" etc with just "ro pnpacpi=off" and booting pressing F10
To do it permanently edit /etc/default/grub to have
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="pnpacpi=off"
and do 'sudo update-grub'

To get into the system and make the changes I had to boot into rescue ("rescue" as parameter in GRUB).

BTW - in the process of experimenting I also had to temporarily disable graphical startup. I did this with
sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target
and then I only had a prompt where I could do this to start graphics manually:
sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm start

To revert to graphical startup do:
sudo systemctl set-default graphical.target

This is all with these BIOS settings:
1- change the UEFI boot option to legacy boot option
2- change the Hybrid Graphics option to Discrete Graphics option 

Last edited by jacob-nordfalk; November 16th, 2016 at 09:20 AM.