Solution for black screen bug in Zorin 16 install: For Dell XPS with hybrid gpu touch screen (intel hd) this is how you overcome the black screen after grub

This problem does not occur on the latest Zorin OS 15, only on Zorin OS 16 beta (same method to create bootable usb) - rufus.

I had windows on AHCI from Intel RST (Raid) by using this solution first - Switch Windows 10 from RAID/IDE to AHCI - Knowledgebase / Microsoft Windows - Critical Technology Solutions - Helpdesk

Secure boot mode is enabled (no change)
UEFI mode as standard

You need a second screen for this to work. It will simply hang if you use your main laptop display (mine is 4k).

When you get to grub loader (from your bootable usb),press Fn and F8 (the screen switching key) which will switch your display to a second screen (I have a dell 1080p external screen connected via hdmi).

Once you can see your laptop screen on your external display - install as usual.

I also had to force grub from my 4k resolution down to 1280x1024 by modifying /etc/default/grub and adjusting the line to GRUB_GFXMODE=1280x1024. Problem solved.

Installation will then launch succesfully. If this step is not taken and you attempt to use your "internal" laptop screen, you will be met with a black screen and it will simply hang. CTRL + Alt + Del will reset your laptop but you won't get any further.

1 Like