[HOW TO] Enable Hibernate Option on ZorinOS 16 or other Gnome distros

Hi! So you need hibernate option but kinda disappointed it doesn't come enabled by default on Linux distros. Well, here's a small guide on how to enable hibernation on ZorinOS 16. This guide should work for both Core and Pro versions.

Requirements

Disable Secure Boot in your BIOS settings.

You need to have a swap partition. If you're not sure if you have one, open the 'Disks' app and see if you do (you probably won't if you're on defaults).

If you don't have one, it's pretty easy to make it.

1. In the Disks app, first select a partition that has at least 8GB of free space.

2. After that, click that partition and then click the 'gears' icon, right beside the subtract and square icon.

3. Select Resize

4. Assign the 'Free Space Following' to 8GB. Instead of 8GB, you can also do 16GB but it's better if you allocate the same amount as your RAM. So, if you have 8GB of RAM, do 8GB Free Space Following. If 12GB RAM, then 12GB Free Space Following.

5. Click Resize and Yes on any warnings that appear. You'll have something like this after:
    Do not panic if it looks stuck. Just wait it out to let it finish the resizing.

6. Select the Free Space and click the + icon.

7. Configure it like this:

8. After this, select the newly created swap partition and click the gear icons once again and click on 'Edit Mount Options' and configure it like this:
Don't touch the Identify As option

NOTE THE ID AFTER THE /dev/disk/by-uuid/

9. That's it! Now you can reboot and your swap partition is now working!

Setting up Hibernation

Now let's set up hibernation.
Firstly, we need to configure grub to tell it to use our swap partition for system resume. Open terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter: sudo gedit /etc/default/grub,
A text editor window will now open. Around line 12, add the line resume=UUID= after quiet splash. After the resume=UUID, enter the UUID that you noted earlier. Your grub file should now look like this (the image is missing the =UUID ):

On your keyboard, tap ctrl+o to overwrite, then The enter key to save current configuration. Tap ctrl+x to exit the editor.
Now, you must run

sudo update-grub

In terminal in order for the changes to take effect.

We're done with the hard part.
Now let's enable the hibernate option.

1. Make sure you have Gnome Tweaks option installed. If not, go to store and search for "Tweaks" and install the Gnome Tweaks app.
  2. After this go to: Simpler Off Menu - GNOME Shell Extensions
  3. Install the 'Gnome Shell Integration' extension in your browser. There should be a card asking you to install it.
  4. Click the OFF button
  5. Wait for a few seconds and it should now ask you to install, click on Install.
  6. Refresh the page and you'll now see this:
  7. Click the settings icon and configure it like this:
  8. Now you'll have Hibernate option in your quick settings menu.
  9. Select Hibernate to see if it works or not. If not, make sure you entered the correct UUID in the grub config file.
2 Likes

Try it but the hibernate button is not working

Maybe try this HowTo...?

i did not see hibernate in the setting

Please read the HOWTO from the link properly. There is one step which explicitly enables hibernate functionality, which then appears as a menu selection in the OS settings :wink:

1 Like

Thanks but I can't seem to find the Off Button

@NayamAmarshe

Did you refresh the page?

I have followed all the steps, and enabled hibernate button. But, it is not saving any state, the PC turns on fresh after hibernation. Please help me to solve this issue.

You need to do sudo update-grub and sudo update-initramfs -u after running both these commands you should have hibernate working.

Also if it does not show up you can try this to manually do it after rebooting
sudo systemctl hibernate. I also found this if that doesn't work

Hello, thank you for your thread.

When resizing the volume in Disks to create a swap partition, I get the following error:

Error unmounting /dev/nvme0n1p2: target is busy (udisks-error-quark, 14)

It's because I'm currently using that partition right? Would it work if I live boot Zorin from a USB and do this step there?

Update: I booted from a USB and it worked. However, hibernation doesn't work. When I click Hibernate in the menu the screen flashes for a second then nothing happens; my laptop is still on.

If you don't have a swap partition and haven't enabled hibernation, then it will not work. Try searching how to enable hibernation ubuntu 20.04.

I'm facing the same problem, i.e. hibernation does not work for me (Zorin 16.2 Pro). Followed all the steps, but unfortunately to no effect.

• 30 GB swap partition is set and enabled
  • Grub adjusment made and grub updated
  • Hibernation policy added and menu item enabled

Double and tripple checked everything, but when I select Hibernate the system shuts down without saving the current state (or at least does not reload on the next start up).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Hi - just wanted to mention the tutorial doesn't include telling you to run:

sudo update-grub

after editing /etc/default/grub - this got me for a while!

Also, I had to disabled Secure Boot on my motherboard and rather than just adding:

resume=52d72688-6de6-430f-91f0-397e4c7994c4

I had to add:

resume=UUID=52d72688-6de6-430f-91f0-397e4c7994c4

before it would work.

Hope this helps someone who's stuck :slight_smile:

1 Like

@maxscan Thank you, I was going crazy trying to get this working until I chanced on your comment here.

1 Like

And @maxscan ,
I have edited the O.P.'s original tutorial to include the steps to save and exit the changes in grub in the text editor, running update-grub and the Resume=UUID= into the post.